If you just received an inherited property and want to sell it, what do you do? Selling inherited property in Southern California can be easy if you know what to do. Contacting an investor who will low ball an offer would not be high on anyone’s list unless the property is a mess.
Then, I would contact a California Realtor® to help you evaluate the house, townhome, condominium or income property.
Selling inherited property is an emotional process that you need to be rational about. Review options to make good decisions for your family and the beneficiaries.
Who is Calling You after You Inherited the Property?
- Real Estate Investors
- Real Estate Agents
You may start to get phone calls from investors or agents for the most part. How do they know? They check with the Los Angeles County clerk’s office on recent death certificates and reach out to possible relatives or executors of a living trust.
If they are an investor, to buy your property. If you would consider the house a “hoarder home”, then I have someone who buys hoarder homes and cleans them up.
Calling After the Passing of a Family Member
This happened my client in Downey. His dad passed away. The family had the main house in a living trust.
A local real estate agent researched the data and called the executor of the living trust the next day. To give his condolences? No. To get the listing. He didn’t get the listing.
I did. The executor contacted me directly and I worked with them to help the family sell their inherited home. I truly care about the people I work with beyond real estate. My family passed away and I know what you are going through…
Action Items for Selling Your Inherited Property
- Make a list of questions
- Did you inherit the property in a Living Trust or is there just a will?
- If a Living Trust, do you have a copy of the trust?
- If it is a Living Trust, who is the executor of the trust?
- If it is a will, then you will need a Probate Attorney to assist you with the paperwork.
- What condition is the house, condo or another type of property in right now?
- Is the property damaged? Does it need repairs?
- Do you live in California?
- Do you need to do an estate sale of the items inside the home before you sell?
- Do you have a good accountant to help you will the property taxes or tax situation in selling an inherited property?
- What is the value of the home at the time of death?
- Let’s talk about all of these subjects and more during our meeting.
Let’s Do this…Call Me or Fill out the Form Below about Selling Your Inherited Property
Let’s meet and have a friendly talk about what property you inherited. There is NO COST for us to meet. I will explain the home selling process. Answer any questions that you may have and create a strategy to get your tasks of selling your inherited property. I’m here to help. Call me, Jay Valento, (562) 413-7655.